Discord one of the most popular VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) used by players to interact, coordinate the game, and share their game milestones. The Discord app available for all platforms includes windows, mac, Linux, iOS, and mac, and the development team regularly updates the discord app with security improvements and various bug fixes for user-reported issues.
Whenever you open the discord app, if new updates are available, it will be downloaded and installed automatically. But sometimes you may experience “discord update failed“. You’re not alone – multiple users report problems, discord update failed while checking for updates repeatedly
Why Discord update failed occurs?
There are many possible reasons for the failure to update discord. It may be due to the following reasons:
- discord server problems
- Internet connectivity issues
- antivirus blocked the update somehow
- Corruptible files are some common
Whatever the reason, here are some of the best working suggestions for fixing discord update issues in Windows 10.
6 Easy Fix For ” Discord Update Failed “
Restart your computer and reopen the discord application, let them check and install the latest updates. Restarting your PC, empty memory, discard unwritten partial data to disk, and restart the Discord upgrade process that probably fixes the Discord update loop.
Temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus from your computer, and most importantly, disconnect VPN (if configured on your computer.
Run a clean boot and make sure it’s okay, open or install discord updates.
Check your internet connection
Check and make sure you have a stable and functional Internet connection to download discord updates from your server. If the device you use with Discord can’t load sites like Discord.com, then fix it you need to fix your internet connection and try opening Discord again.
You can restart your modem and router, which will probably also help resolve various Internet connection issues.
Check the status of the discord server
If there is something wrong with the Discord server, you may experience different problems with the discord application, such as discord caught on voice connection or checking for updates.
Visit https://discordstatus.com/ and check for any partial outage going on, this may not provide updates to your device. If all goes well out there, look for the next solutions.
Start Discord as Admin
Sometimes the discord application needs administrative permission to apply the updates. If you notice disagreement in checking for updates repeatedly, there are chances to disagree with downloading the updates, but fail to apply them because you do not have administrator access. Running Discord as an administrator helps fix the update loop for many users here, how to do this,
- Be sure to close the discord app (double-check if the discord icon is not in the system tray, right-click and select Close)
- Navigate to the discord app shortcut icon on the desktop, right-click and select run as administrator,
- Click yes when UAC requests, now verify that Discord starts and the update should complete.
Disable proxy server
Here is the best solution you need to apply when the discord update fails to install or crashes the update check.
- Press the Windows + R key, type inetcpl.cpl and click ok
- This will open the Internet properties, go to the Connections tab,
- Click on the LAN settings and make sure to clear using a proxy server for LAN.
- Click ok, apply to save the changes, and open the discord app to verify that it has successfully installed the updates.
Temporarily disable your firewall
Also, temporarily disable the Windows firewall by following the steps below.
- Press the Windows + R key, enter firewall.cpl and click ok
- Click Turn the Windows Defender Firewall on or off,
- then select the radio button, turn off the Windows Defender firewall for both options.
Rename the Discord update file
If the discord update file is corrupted, you may have problems installing discord updates. Well, rename the Discord update file, force Discord to download a new copy, and fix the problem yourself.
- Make sure that the discord is not running or close it in the task manager,
- Press the Windows + R key. Enter % localappdata% and press Enter.
- Find and open the Discord folder and rename Update.exe to UpdateX.exe.
- Now try to open Discord and see if it’s updated.
Reinstall the discord app
And the final solution, reinstall the discord application. Allows you to delete any remaining Discord process, delete local Discord files, and reinstall it from scratch.
- Open the task manager, find Discord in the process list, select it, and click Finish task.
- If there are multiple instances of Discord, select each one and click Finish task.
- Now press the Windows + R key, type appwiz.cpl click ok,
- This will open the programs and resources window. Here, locate the discord app, right-click and select uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the discord app from your PC.
- Then press the Windows + R key, type % localappdata%, and click ok
- Here, locate the Discord folder and delete it.
- Again open %% application data and delete the discord folder from there, restart the computer.
- And finally, visit the official discord website to download and install the Discord app for your device.
Hope you have fixed your issue regarding ” Discord Update Failed “. If you like this article please share it with those who are facing the same problem. Also if you want to learn how to create discord spoiler images click here.