It’s no exaggeration to say that the entire world is on the Internet nowadays. Undoubtedly, people have a more online presence than a physical presence. Although there are many benefits of the Internet, its dark side is also not hidden from anyone. Therefore, it becomes highly crucial to keep yourself safe in the digital world, be it during data transmission or any other online activity. And for the same reason, cybersecurity is one of the hot topics in today’s world. Moreover, there are many tools in the market to save you from cybercrimes. The most popular among them is a VPN.
What Is VPN?
A VPN or Virtual Private Network uses a VPN protocol to ensure safe transmission of data or information over the internet. Generally, a VPN is used to create a secure connection over the public internet and wi-fi hotspots as they can be unsafe. There are high chances of data theft, hacking, and other cybercrimes if you connect to an unsecured public wi-fi or the internet. Moreover, your devices can also be attacked by malware and suspicious viruses if you do not use proper security. A VPN for Windows helps solve all these problems.
As the number of people using the internet is increasing, so is the demand for VPNs. Earlier, people were not much aware of cybercrimes and fraud. However, as people are becoming more alert and knowledgeable, the need for a VPN is also growing day by day. Initially, VPNs were used mainly by companies and corporations to help their employees work remotely over a secure network. However, nowadays, VPNs are also used mostly for personal use.
Let’s look at some of the significant reasons for which a VPN is used.
Why Is A VPN Used?
A VPN is used for various reasons, and all these reasons are significant because a VPN hides your real IP address and encrypts your data.
First, let’s see why companies use VPN.
- With the help of VPNs, companies can function remotely. If a company has branches in different locations or its employees are based in other geographical areas, they can connect securely to a private network with a different IP address. Hence, the problem of geo-blocking is no longer a problem.
- It helps employees to work from home. The current pandemic situation has made everyone realize how important work from home is. In such a case, a VPN becomes extremely important. It lets employees access their companies’ resources from their homes by connecting to their companies’ private network from their homes.
- Moreover, a VPN helps a company or corporation keep a check on its competitor’s website or business strategies by remaining anonymous as the real IP address remains hidden.
- It can also help in brand monitoring and web scraping. In web scraping, different IP addresses are needed to gather information, and a VPN lets you achieve it.
- Moreover, companies can keep their information, online transactions, and data confidential.
Now, let’s see how individuals can use VPNs.
- You can use a VPN for streaming Netflix, Hulu, or download files from Torrents without facing the problem of geo-blocking. A VPN also helps you to browse Netflix and other popular apps from a different location.
- It can prevent your personal accounts from hackers by adding an extra layer of security and keeping your ID address anonymous.
After knowing why a VPN is used, you must be intrigued to know how it works. So, let’s talk about how a VPN works.
How Does a VPN Work?
A VPN works by encrypting the data to be transmitted from your network to the VPN server. In this process, your actual IP address and location are disguised to maintain security and anonymity. You need to understand how data is encrypted and transmitted to understand further how a VPN works.
The data that you plan to send from your website is passed through a secure tunnel to reach the targeted VPN server. This is how a VPN technically works.
You can initiate the above process on any of your devices. A VPN is available for MAC, Windows, Android, and IOS. There are many VPN service providers available in the market. You can purchase a VPN for Windows, Mac, Android, or any other device as per your requirement. However, we would recommend Urban VPN for Windows in case you need an absolutely free VPN.
How Does Urban VPN Work?
Urban VPN works like any other VPN service provider. Nonetheless, it’s an absolutely free VPN that gives you complete security and protection.
You can follow these simple steps to use Urban VPN on Windows.
- Download and install the Urban VPN application for Windows.
- After that, right-click on the Urban VPN icon.
- Lastly, please select your desired VPN geography to use it.
As you can see, it’s incredibly effortless to use Urban VPN for Windows.
After reading this article, you should have known how a VPN works. It works by encrypting your data and hiding your IP address. It’s more technical than the way we have explained. However, we have made it easier for you to understand how it actually works. As far as the question of why it should be used, security is the primary answer. Everyone must be safe and secure in the digital world and protect themselves from cybercrimes, such as hacking and cyberbullying. Apart from security, it is also needed for remote access and to bypass geo-blocking.
What’s more fun than streaming your favorite videos without any restrictions? A VPN can help you achieve all these. So, please give it a thought and start using a VPN at the earliest.