According to researchers, there will be 75.4 billion devices connected to the Internet of Things (IoT) by the end of 2025. For businesses, this means that remote control and monitoring of assets is within their reach. That’s why many companies decide to opt for innovative solutions like an LwM2M Server that reduces the costs for low-power module deployment and equips devices with faster IoT solutions.
However, the growth of IoT will also generate new challenges in areas such as monitoring and management. To effectively monitor, control, and optimize an IoT network, companies need the right tools and resources.
IoT networks can become very complex when they comprise multiple devices in different locations. That’s why monitoring and controlling the IoT connectivity of each device in real-time is so important.
How to effectively monitor and optimize an IoT network? Read on to find out.
Why monitor and control IoT devices?
You’ve already connected all of your devices, and they are communicating with each other. What else is there to do in an IoT network? By implementing proper monitoring tools, you can tap into the potential of data generated by the devices. You can filter and evaluate different types of data – and then use the insights you uncover for smarter decision-making.
Also Check : E Governance in India
IoT monitoring – must-have features
By using specialized tools for controlling and monitoring IoT networks, companies can quickly complete simple evaluations, as well as visualize and analyze the connection and device status data.
An IoT monitoring tool should include the following features to help you optimize your IoT network:
- Live dashboards – such user-friendly dashboards allow monitoring IoT devices easily. They can be configured to use specific real-time information that is most relevant to your business.
- Device-level reporting – a quality monitoring tool offers reporting capabilities at each device level, covering not only the current but also the historical data.
- Geolocation and location tracking – another handy feature is geo-tracking, which allows you to locate all of the IoT devices in your network. You can also set limits thanks to geo-fencing.
- Alerts and notifications – you can set your monitoring tool to send you centralized notifications and alerts about all device and system events that are relevant.
- Functionality integration – cross-software IoT device monitoring is the best approach because it allows applications, systems, and processes to be carried out on the same platform.
- Network security – naturally, the issue of security is an important aspect of any IoT implementation. A monitoring tool needs to ensure that all of the devices and applications operate in a secure environment.
Invest in expertise
While a high-quality monitoring tool helps a lot in IoT optimization efforts, human expertise is still an essential component in IoT implementations. That’s why many businesses delegate the management, monitoring, and optimization of their IoT ecosystems to skilled experts who cover all operational and administrative activities.
IoT monitoring tools bring businesses heaps of helpful data that can be accessed via a configured dashboard. Insights generated through such tools help to optimize the overall IoT network but also inform smart business decision-making.