If you are a new buyer of the iPhone and have not paid the full price, it will be locked until you pay off the entire cost. Therefore here we will discuss how to unlock the iPhone. Because it will not allow you to send texts or make phone calls if you switch to a new carrier without opening it in the first place.
How to unlock an iPhone from your carrier?
First of all, make sure you have fully paid for your iPhone because most carriers may refuse to unlock your iPhone due to your preliminary payment plan, according to the FCC. Once you have made your payment complete, visit Apple’s support page to find out whether “unlocking” is a service your carrier offers or not for Ipad Repair.
Once you are prepared, call your carrier to request an unlock. On the other hand, your request might take a few days to process. Furthermore, you will receive a confirmation email or letter once the process is done.
However, you can use AT&T’s convenient device unlocking portal, so there is no need to call customer service if you’re switching from AT&T to another carrier. It could take a few days to process and sent confirmation once it is completed. Now you have succeeded in being an unlocked iPhone, therefore cancel your old carrier contract.
Method to unlock an iPhone with another SIM card:
You can currently replace the card on your iPhone if you have a SIM card from your new carrier. Before doing it, make sure to backup your information to iCloud or your computer via iTunes, and then turn off. Insert a paperclip or similar object into the hole of the SIM card slot gently on the side of your phone.
- A chip-holder will pop out.
- Gently remove it from the phone.
- Now remove the SIM card currently in the chip-holder.
- Once removed, place your new SIM card into the chip-holder.
- Further, slide it back into place.
- Turn your iPhone device on now.
Method to unlock an iPhone without another SIM card:
There are some cases where you may want to unlock your phone without switching it to a new carrier. Well, it is easy to do, but your iPhone may be left from some functionality.
If you agree to it, once you unlock your iPhone, here are the steps you do further:
- First of all, back up all your information to iCloud or iTunes.
- Erase the iPhone to its original factory settings by restoring the device.
- Now restore the machine from your backup.
In case you get an error message when you try to restore the device:
- First of all, restore the machine to its original factory settings.
- Now Double-check with your carrier that the unlock was successful on their end or not.
- Then try again to restore the phone from your most recent backup.
It is possible to see the message on your computer or your iPhone that “The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.” Therefore, only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier must be used to activate an iPhone. Furthermore, insert the SIM card that you get with your iPhone. Or else visit a supported carrier store.
If you receive a message on your device with iOS 14, you can use the following steps:
- Go to the Settings section, then General, and tap “About.”
- You will see a message in which “No SIM restrictions.” will be written under carrier lock.
- In case if you don’t receive that message, then contact your carrier.
If your device is on iOS 13 or earlier, you can use these steps mentioned below:
- Contact your carrier to ensure that they applied the unlock in their system.
- Restore your iPhone to factory settings.
- Restore your iPhone from a backup.