IRS Phone Number: Customer Service and Human Help Options

The primary IRS number is 800-829-1040. However, it’s not the only IRS number that you can dial for assistance or talk to someone live. Below is a list of alternative IRS number to call to reach those who you require.

We’ve also added hyperlinks to our articles on a variety of subjects, which could help you avoid a phone call.

How do I contact IRS customer service

You are welcome to dial for the official IRS phone number (Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. local time). The IRS’s average telephone wait time of 13 minutes in the filing period (January until April) and 19 minutes during off-season (May to December). The call volume could be more frequent on Tuesdays and Mondays and in the days leading up to when it comes to the date of the tax due.

If you’re looking for answers about one of the subjects listed below, these less well-known IRS telephone numbers can assist you faster.

Tax help is available to taxpayers who have hearing impairments or are hard-of-hea (TTY/TDD) 800-829-4059
Make an appointment with a local IRS office 844-545-5640
Find a tax clinic for free close to you 800-906-9887; 888-227-7669 Find out more about this subject
Get an official tax transcript 800-908-9946 Find out more about this subject
Pay your tax using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System English: 800-555-4477

Spanish: 800-244-4829

Find out more about this subject
Find out the status of a tax refund 800-829-1954 Find out more information about this subject
Review the whether a tax refund is that is being held 866-897-3315 Find out more about this subject
Review the status of an updated tax return 866-464-2050 Find out more about this subject
Make an error in reporting income in a substitute return 866-681-4271 Find out more about this subject
Balance due questions 800-829-0922; 800-829-7650; 800-829-3903 Find out more about this subject
Taxpayer Advocate Service 877-777-4778 Find out more about this subject
Self-employed taxpayers with a bank account or tax law queries 800-829-4933 Find out more about this subject
Tax credit payments for children are not being paid. 800-908-4184 Find out more about this subject
Tax questions on estate and gifts 866-699-4083 Find out more information about this subject on this page as well here
Disaster victims 866-562-5227 Find out more about this subject
Taxpayers from overseas 267-941-1000 Find out more about this subject
Refund and identity theft victims are eligible to receive an IP PIN number that is new 800-908-4490 Find out more about this subject
Excise tax questions 866-699-4096 Find out more about this subject
Assistance with tax returns for businesses 800-829-0115 Find out more about this subject.
Report scams, phishing, and other bogus claims Check to see whether an IRS agent’s badge and name are legitimate 800-366-4484 Find out more about this subject
Check, pay off or settle tax lien 800-913-6050 Find out more about this subject
Check if bankruptcy has changed your tax debt 800-973-0424 Find out more information about this subject
Innocent spouse relief 866-681-4271 Find out more about this subject
Check out the debts that will help you to pay for your tax refund 800-304-3107 (866-297-0517 TTY/TDD)
Help in obtaining the Employer Identification Number 800-829-4933 Find out more about this subject.
Lost ITIN documents 800-908-9982 Find out more about this subject
The status of the application to Adoption the Taxpayer Identification number 737-800-5511 Find out more about this subject
International Taxpayer Advocate English: 787-522-8601

Spanish: 787-522-8600

Hotline for Whistleblowers 800-829-0433
You can ask the IRS to send you tax forms in paper 800-829-3676 Find out more about this subject
Tax professionals and tax preparers for tax law or account concerns. 800-829-8374
Tax preparers and tax professionals with questions on e-filing 866-255-0654
Tax Practitioner Priority Service 866-860-4259
Tax professionals from overseas 512-416-7750; 267-941-1000
Partnerships, corporate taxpayers, and non-profits 866-255-0654
Non-profits that have tax laws or having questions about filing 877-829-5500
Tax-exempt and government entities 877-829-5500
International companies that require to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) 267-941-1099
Employers, taxpayers, and transmitters who require e-filing tech assistance 866-455-7438
Employers, payors, and transmitters who require e-filing technology assistance 304-263-8700

Other ways to get in touch with an actual IRS representative. IRS

Try these local options to get assistance.

Go to your nearest IRS office

The IRS runs Local Taxpayer Assistance Center offices, TACs, across every state. For their addresses and telephone numbers, simply click your state in the list of Taxpayer Assistance offices. It is not possible to just walk into the local IRS office at any time. You must make an appointment. The IRS number is 844-545-5640.

Call toll-free Taxpayer Advocate Service

is an independent, non-profit organization within the IRS that can assist people who have tax issues that they cannot solve by themselves. Each state has at least a locally-based Taxpayer Advocate Service center that is separate from their office of the local IRS Office and is accountable directly to the federal Taxpayer Advocate Service. It is possible to find the local address and contact numbers for each state’s local Taxpayer Advocate Service office here..

Before calling, you must know

If you’re placed on the line with an IRS phone assistor You’ll be required to confirm your identity in order to proceed. Be sure to have these details in your phone before calling:

  • Social Security number, also known as ITIN.
  • Birth date.
  • Status of filing.
  • The tax return for the prior year and the return you’re looking for.
  • Anything IRS communication that you’ve had received (via email or Online account).

In the event that you’re calling on behalf another person, or someone who’s deceased or has passed away, you’ll need some additional information along with the items above such as written or verbal authorization or a valid Form 8821 (or Form 2848), as well as other relevant documents like the death certificate or a court order. [1]

State tax department phone numbers

If it’s a tax-related state issue that you need assistance with, click to view the phone numbers for tax departments of the state.

State tax department phone numbers

Be on the lookout for IRS scams on the phone

You are able to dial any IRS phone number you like however the IRS won’t call you often. It makes most calls and demands for payment via regular mail through the U.S. Postal Service. In certain situations, the agency may visit the business or home of a person at the time:

  • Taxpayers have an unpaid tax bill.
  • To secure a delinquent tax return.
  • To secure a delinquent employment tax payment.
  • A business to tour in the course the IRS investigation or as part of criminal investigation.

Beware of tax fraud. The IRS is not:

  • Contact us to request payment.
  • Contact you by text, email or social media.
  • You can pay the tax bill using gift cards, prepaid cards and wire transfer.
  • Make threats to contact the police or immigration officers, or any others to have you arrested.
  • Refuse your driver’s license or business license as well as your immigration status.
the authorDeny