Buying a new Windows device, either it is a laptop or a desktop is always exciting. With the new device, you get to experience some amazing features that the device has. The technology is changing at an exponential rate. Due to which the configurations in devices are getting obsolete within years. Thus, people end up buying laptops or desktops at an interval of 2 to 3 years. Transferring your files from the old PC to your new one can become a hassle. If you are looking for methods to transfer files from one Windows system to another, then your search ends here. In this article, we have compiled different ways of transferring files and programs from one pc to another. Let’s have a look at the methods:
Using an external storage device
One of the easiest ways of transferring files from one pc to another is by using an external storage device. You can use a USB, an SD card, or an external hard disk to transfer the files. If your PC has USB 3.0, then the file transfer will be faster. To transfer the files, follow the below steps:
- Connect your external device to the old PC and copy the desired files.
- Connect the same external device to your new PC and copy the new files.
The external device is easy to use and allows you to copy large amounts of data. There is no need to install any external software to transfer the files. But, you will have to manually select the files that you have to transfer. This can cause some data loss if you aren’t cautious while selecting the files. Files like user settings, program settings, emails, applications, cannot be transferred through the external device. Thus, it is not recommended to use an external divide to transfer the files.
Using a LAN cable
Using a LAN cable, two PCs can be connected through a wire. It becomes easy to communicate between the two PCs, and hence the file transfer becomes easy. To transfer the files, follow the below steps:
- Attach the LAN cable to both the PCs.
- Share a folder on the new PC so that it can be accessed in the old PC.
- Directly copy the files from the old PC to the new PC.
The data transfer process happens directly between the two devices with the help of a portable LAN cable.
Transfer files using Cloud/Dropbox
One of the latest technologies invented is Cloud-based storage. Online portals like Dropbox or OneDrive offer an option to save all your important files on servers. To transfer the files, follow the below steps:
- Create your account on any of the online storage portals like Dropbox or OneDrive.
- Sync all your important files and folders into the cloud storage provided by these portals.
- Open these portals in your new PC by logging in to your account.
- Sync the files and folders on your new PC.
This data file transfer process is simple and doesn’t require an external device. The only drawback is that you will have to invest in a Cloud sync product. The transfer speed for large files is slow, and you will have to buy more Cloud storage. It is a good way to transfer small amounts of files from one PC to another.
Using a data transfer software
The above-mentioned methods might be cumbersome for you and there are chances of data loss as well. Thus, using a data transfer software like Zinstall WinWin makes the task easy. With the help of this software, you can transfer all the files, settings, and programs to your new PC at once. To transfer the files, follow the below steps:
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the old PC.
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the new PC.
- Connect both the PCs to the same network or Ethernet cable.
- The software will transfer all the files by default. Click on the Advanced menu to select the applications and files that you want to transfer to your new PC.
- Press the ‘Go’ button to initiate the file transfer.
Read this article to know how you can easily transfer files from one computer to another.
The transfer will automatically happen and you won’t have to manually search files and reinstall programs. You will save a lot of time and prevent data loss by using data transfer software.