There are numerous web design software and tools online and, for a beginner, finding the right one can be difficult. Most people hire web designers to get the job done but, even then, it would be best to familiarize yourself with how it works. Even with the most popular web design and hosting platforms, you ought to know some fundamental details to avoid making grave mistakes. We will compare some of the top web design platforms to give you an idea of what you need for your website.
Non-Prescription-Based Web Design Platforms
These platforms allow you to run your website on your very own server without necessarily leasing the platform. That does not mean that they are free. You may have to part with a few bucks to cover additional features, themes, and plugins.
WordPress is one of the most popular non-subscription-based platforms in the world. The open-source platform was initially designed for online blogs and, to date, it offers exceptional backing for blog websites with high flexibility and excellent free features. WordPress is generally free bu,t you may have to pay for your domain name, hosting, and paid features like pre-built themes and plugins. They come at affordable rates and, the extra features are worthwhile.
This platform also has a Content Management System (CMS) that allows you to manage your own website and make simple additions like publishing a blog post.
- You get unlimited control over your entire website and the ability to build any kind of website including landing pages, membership websites, social networks, community forums, eCommerce stores, and more.
- Drag and drop page builders like Divi and Beaver allow you to design your page layout with little or no coding experience
- More than 50,000 free plugins to optimize your website’s functionality
- You can create a multilingual website with WordPress translated languages
- Impressive SEO tools to help your website rank highly in search engines best web design companies
- Since you are responsible for all aspects of your website, you’ll have to learn how to use the platform. It might be simple for some people to get the hang of it but, you may have to be more patient if you’re a beginner.
- You have to create backups.
- You will have to stay up to speed with plugin and platform updates
You will have to pay for your domain name and web hosting for your website to go live. WordPress charges $7.99 per month and $14.99 per year. These affordable rates have made WordPress extremely popular among small online businesses and bloggers.
Subscription-based platforms charge monthly fees and sometimes additional rates for extra features. These platforms are a significant and worthwhile experience with impeccable security, technical support, and excellent functionality for eCommerce websites.
Wix is a cloud-based website design software that offers straightforward yet powerful website building features. It is beginner-friendly but, you can further customize your website with advanced coding capabilities.
- Wix is a fully hosted web design platform. That means that you don’t need to pay for hosting.
- You have access to hundreds of unique templates to design your website. There is a drag-and-drop site builder to help you edit your preferred template.
- Wix has an artificial web design intelligence known as Wix ADI that comes in handy when designing the perfect website.
- The platform has numerous paid and free apps you can install on your website for optimal functionality.
- Wix also has a free plan with limited storage and bandwidth. We recommend using it as a test drive to gauge your ability to use the drag and drop website builder. You will have to upgrade to premium if you choose to keep the website.
- The Custom Domain plan costs $9.16 monthly and only lets you link a custom domain name. As such, you still must buy a domain name.
- Moving your website from Wix to another platform could be quite complicated
- The Connect Domain and Free plans come with ads you can only remove by upgrading to the Unlimited or Combo plan
Connect a domain costs $9.16 per month. You get a free domain name if you pay at least $14.95 monthly for the Combo plan. Online stores have to pay $26.25 monthly for the eCommerce plan.
While WordPress is considered the best web design platform today, you may find that other platforms better suit your business’s needs. We recommend analyzing each platform’s features against what you need to determine which one meets your budget, beginner-friendliness, or eCommerce requirements.