Audiophiles are treated to new audio-listening technology every few years. The current poster child of the global audio market is Truly Wireless Earbuds. How do these wireless listening devices compare to other established headphones?
For this analysis, we’ll focus on four headphone designs – over-ear wired headphones, on-ear wired headphones, standard in-ear wired headphones, and truly wireless earbuds.
Market Performance of these Listening Devices
In terms of market performance, the best truly wireless earbuds in India are outperforming other types of wired headphones. Even though there are still more wired headphones sold across the world (mainly because they’re cheaper), the rate of demand for truly wireless earbuds is far greater.
In 2019, 50% of all wireless listening devices sold globally were truly wireless earbuds. The global market for truly wireless earbuds has grown by 300% between 2018-2019.
This increase in demand has engrossed more and more tech companies in wireless audio technology. Hence, the average sales prices of truly wireless earbuds have also dropped. It’s fair to say that truly wireless earbuds are currently ruling the audio device industry. This rule and influence will only grow stronger in the next few years.
Over-the-Ear Wired Headphones vs. Truly Wireless Earbuds
Over-the-ear headphones are very big in size. They cover the user’s ear. They’re also known as circumoral headphones. These headphones were popular because –
- They were comfortable to wear. The soft earpads offered listeners a lot of comforts.
- The sound quality was consistent. Since the user’s ears were covered, providing features like surround sound or added boost was easy.
- Great noise isolation features to boost listening experiences.
Why Truly Wireless Earbuds Outperform Over-the-ear Wired Headphones
- Unlike truly wireless earbuds, over-the-ear headphones are very hard to carry. Wearing them while traveling a hassle. Truly wireless earbuds offer the most convenience in this aspect.
- They weigh a lot. Truly wireless earbuds weigh less than 0.5 Kg. Hence wearing over-the-ear headphones while working out is not possible. Wireless earbuds, on the other hand, are ideal for workout sessions.
- Over-the-ear headphones cost a lot. Paying for a pair of truly wireless earbuds and a charging case makes much more sense.
Overall, it’s clear why the demand for over-the-ear headphones has diminished in recent years. Audio technicians and professional musicians still use over-the-ear headphones during their recording sessions. But for the average user, truly wireless earbuds are the clear winners.
On-Ear Wired Headphones vs. Truly Wireless Earbuds
On-ear Wired headphones are much more popular than over-the-ear headphones. Also known as supra-aural headphones, these listening devices were popular because –
- Compared to over-the-ear headphones, on-ear headphones are much lighter and easy to carry.
- They look cool. The external regions of an on-ear headphone can be designed with graphics. In some cultures, these wired headphones are seen as status symbols.
- The best on-ear wired headphones over amazing sound quality.
- More suited for wearing while engaging in physical activities than over-the-ear wired headphones. However, the wires and cables still make it difficult to move around freely.
Why Truly Wireless Earbuds Outperform On-ear Wired Headphones
- On-ear Wired headphones aren’t half as comfortable as truly wireless earbuds. They apply too much pressure on the listener’s earlobes.
- Less convenient than truly wireless earbuds
- The best truly wireless earbuds don’t leak any sound. On the other hand, on-ear wired headphones can leak noise, and other people can easily hear the music.
Standard Wired In-Ear Headphones vs. Truly Wireless Earbuds
These small and wired headphones are extremely popular because they are cheap and easily available in most markets. Chinese factories produce millions of these wired in-ear headphones every year. That’s why markets are flooded with standard wired in-ear headphones. But, their popularity doesn’t make them the best!
Standard wired in-ear headphones are popular because –
- They are just as small as wireless earbuds. Hence, they are very comfortable to the ears.
- Standard in-ear wired headphones go straight inside the user’s ears. Since the source of audio is so close to the listeners’ ear canals, the sound quality is great.
- The best standard in-ear wired headphones are now available with noise isolation features.
- There’s hardly any sound leakage, so users receive a lot of privacy.
- The wires can be tangled and easily transported.
Why Truly Wireless Earbuds Outperform Standard In-Ear Wired Headphones
- Wireless earbuds offer a lot more convenience as listeners don’t need to deal with wire tangles anymore.
- Zero noise leakage problems. Completely mitigating any noise leakage is a goal for many manufacturers of truly wireless earbuds. Since the demand for these wireless listening devices is so high, top tech companies are investing heavily in improving the listening experiences on these devices.
- The latest truly wireless earbuds come with features like high-fidelity audio and surround sound.
Overall, truly wireless earbuds that are powered by Bluetooth outperform every other listening device from the past. That’s why forecasts suggest that the wireless Bluetooth earbuds market will be worth $120 billion by 2026. It’s the ideal time for audiophiles to go wireless with these earbuds!